Friday, January 18, 2008

Changes in 2008...

Without telling all of my business (since my plans are still largely unformed), I will tell you that I have been thinking of making a big life change lately, and have met with some resistance. The arguments against this changes appeal to my conditioning to 'grab the brass ring, to make my family (mostly my mother) proud, and my desire not to be a quitter.

Unfortunately, the arguments are at odds with my sense of adventure, my desire to always be learning and experiencing new things, and my need to challenge myself and keep growing in order to not feel stagnant.

So what do I do? Do I say "eff that, I'ma do what I wanna do?" Or do I take the advice of other people, several of whom are older and have more life experience than I do? I do firmly believe in learning from other peoples' experiences, since there isn't enough time in a lifetime to make all of their mistakes myself, but I don't want to stifle my own growth.
So what do I do?

I think I have to follow my own instincts and let any other chips fall where they may. To quote the book "Eat, Pray, Love":

"In Mandarin Chinese, they have two words for selfish." "One means doing that which is beneficial to you. The other means hoarding, greedy and cruel."
Ask yourself if you are being greedy or if the activity is beneficial to you. "When you operate from a place of doing those things that help you step into your own worth, when you fill up your own skin with yourself, that alone becomes your offering."



I am thinking about planning to do some things that help me to "step up into my own worth". I will let you know what they are once my plans are more concrete. Might take a bit of time.



--Nicole

P.S. I have heard from a couple of sources that "8" is the number of new beginnings, so it makes sense that I am having lots of ideas that I never would have spoken before.

P.S.S. Life excites me. The possibilities are just endless, aren't they? Our only limits are self-imposed.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:52 PM

    First of all, I want to go on record saying that you have already made me prouder than I ever thought you would. Second, if you don't do anything else, I'll still be proud of you. ( just don't bring anymore curtains home for me to wash, sew, AND iron).

    Now back to the " EFF" that. That's still cussing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ma. No more curtains. I promise.

    And by "EFF" I meant "forget". ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you decide.....I'm rooting for you to be Happy!

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Angel. I wish no less than total, continuous happiness for you as well. Know that.

    --Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Thank you - your comment will appear as soon as it is approved by the moderator!